Tuesday, January 23, 2007

And We’re Back!

Highly successful move to Saint John, New Brunswick. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, back to work.

I’m a big enough guy that I can admit when I’m wrong(ish). So, when
Stylus lists Villalobos’ 37 minute Fizheuer Zieheuer at #36 in it’s Top 50 Singles of 2006, I guess I have to swallow and accept that it was a success after all. I personally can only listen to about 4 minutes of it before it pisses me off, but hey, that’s me. Individuals far more eminent than me love it to death.

I also question the inclusion of the Clipse yawner “Mr. Me Too” at the #38 position. I know there are people who hail this as some kind of new standard, but I don’t understand why. After repeated listens all I get from it is hookless, drug-dealing slang. I think being from white, rural Canada means I will just never fully appreciate the darker side of the urban, black experience.

If there is a diamond in the rough (relatively speaking) on that list, it has to be
Kleerup’s “With Every Heartbeat” (#27). I totally missed this 7” slice of disco genius despite all the time I spend reading/listening on blogs, messageboards, and podcasts. As far as I can tell it came out of nowhere, passed everybody by, and then made the Stylus Top 50. I’ll tell you this: my copy is going to be devastating dance floors in the very near future. I mean, what kind of sad indie-bastard would you have to be to not love it? I submit that you would have to be a great deal of all three.

No comments: